At IT Systems, we are passionate about inclusive and impactful learning through information and communications technology. We believe that one-to-one technology is soon to be the norm in secondary schools across Ireland. This blog is a must-read if you are looking to learn more about one-to-one programmes or if you’re looking to evolve your current digital learning strategy.
What is a one-to-one device?
A one-to-one device refers to the practice whereby organisations such as schools encourage students to use a nominated electronic device to access online resources such as digital textbooks. Laptops, tablets and Chromebooks are all examples of one-to-one devices.
Why make the change to one-to-one?
ICT is redefining all areas of modern life, from early education right through to employment. In the next decade, we will observe a dramatic shift from paper to screen. This is already visible through the number of electronic examinations and eBooks, which are now being gradually introduced into the curriculum. Through one-to-one learning, you are ensuring your students are provided with the greatest opportunity to grow, develop and blossom into successful young adults.
How does one-to-one technology benefit students?
- One-to-one technology maximises your student’s engagement across the curriculum.
- When a one-to-one programme is combined with the right cloud-based learning platform it enables students to access their work from anywhere.
- Students can use a keyboard, pen, touch or voice, as well as additional accessibility peripherals and inbuilt learning tools. This allows them to study in the way that suits them best.
- Students can be provided with access to all the resources they need. This means they can easily organise their work and study at their own pace.
- One-to-one learning prepares students for the modern employment landscape and equips them with future-ready skills such as creative problem-solving, collaboration and coding.
One-to-one technology also boasts benefits for parents and guardians of students.
- One-to-one devices give parents and guardians the option of being more supportive and knowledgeable of their child’s studies.
- Parents are confident that their child is developing future ready skills and can connect digitally to be more engaged with the school.
How will becoming a one-to-one school open new of learning opportunities for teachers and school leaders?
One-to-one devices provide teachers with the opportunity to explore new technologies and online resources. Technology encourages professional development for educators, which is a priority for many within the education sector. One-to-one technology has enabled teachers to explore more learning and teaching tactics without limitations.
- Easy-to-learn apps can be utilized for teachers to save time on administrative duties. Which can help teachers to achieve a better work life balance.
- One-to-one devices can be used to assign work and track learner’s progress. It provides teachers with a distinct indicator of when a student may need some extra support within a particular area.
- Teachers can empower their students and help to grow a student’s skillset through hosting brainstorming sessions and incorporating group collaboration.
- One-to-one learning means classrooms be transformed by teachers into a creative hub through resources such as drawings, 3D models as well as interactive games.
- Teachers can allow students to share their screen, empowering them to guide as well as develop listening, speaking and sharing skills.
- One-to-one technology enables teachers to use multimedia to incorporate current affairs and life skills to link in-class learning to everyday life.
- Audio and video can be incorporated to assist assignment marking. This is an efficient and sometimes even more meaningful method of delivering feedback to students.
One-to-one technology can transform education in your school.
A one-to-one learning program is an opportunity to transform education in your school. It enables you develop future-ready skills in students and introduces flexible and hybrid learning models. If implemented correctly, one-to-one devices can increase efficiency in students and offer time-saving convenience for teachers.
Key benefits of one-to-one learning include;
- Learning continuity for students.
- Increased accessibility for students and staff.
- Higher student engagement and enthusiasm.
- Student wellbeing is championed through a more positive and inclusive learning experience.
- One-to-one device programs enable, school leaders to implement technology strategies more easily, effectively, and efficiently.
- Learning programs and incentives can be tracked and adjusted as required.
- Improvement in academic achievement.
- Lowered cases of conflict between students and teachers.
- One-to-one devices are sustainable and can eradicate unnecessary overheads.
- Equal access learning for students.
- It empowers teachers and students to achieve more.
The success of a one-to-one programme starts with a vision for your school. Choosing innovative devices is an important chapter but it is not the only factor to consider. A school should be a holistic environment in which students, teachers and school leaders thrive. One-to-one learning requires new and carefully considered support, connectivity and training. Additional areas of importance include culture, software, resources, safety and security. While transitioning to being a one-to-one school is daunting, our team at IT Systems can provide you with the expert advice, guidance and support that you need to be this transition a resounding success.
Are you ready to take the next step?
Did you enjoy this article? Let us know below!
If you have questions on any of the mentioned products and would like to chat to one of our team, you can contact us via email on email@example.com or call us directly on 061 375 140.