Make the change to One-to-One today with IT Systems
One-to-One Devices, why should you make the change?
At IT Systems, we are passionate about inclusive and impactful learning through information and communications technology. We believe that one-to-one technology is soon to be the norm in secondary schools across Ireland. This blog is a must-read if you are looking to learn more about one-to-one programmes or if you’re looking to evolve your current digital learning strategy.
What is a One-to-One device?
A one-to-one device refers to the practice whereby organisations such as schools encourage students to use a nominated electronic device to access online resources such as digital textbooks. Laptops, tablets and Chromebooks are all examples of one-to-one devices.
Get ahead of the curve
Why make the change to One-to-One?
ICT is redefining all areas of modern life, from early education right through to employment. In the next decade, we will observe a dramatic shift from paper to screen. This is already visible through the number of electronic examinations and eBooks, which are now being gradually introduced into the curriculum. Through one-to-one learning, you are ensuring your students are provided with the greatest opportunity to grow, develop and blossom into successful young adults.
How does one-to-one technology benefit students?
- One-to-one technology maximises your student’s engagement across the curriculum.
- When a one-to-one programme is combined with the right cloud-based learning platform it enables students to access their work from anywhere.
- Students can use a keyboard, pen, touch or voice, as well as additional accessibility peripherals and inbuilt learning tools. This allows them to study in the way that suits them best.
- Students can be provided with access to all the resources they need. This means they can easily organise their work and study at their own pace.
- One-to-one learning prepares students for the modern employment landscape and equips them with future-ready skills such as creative problem-solving, collaboration and coding.
Transform education in your school
One-to-One technology can transform education in your school.
A one-to-one learning program is an opportunity to transform education in your school. It enables you develop future-ready skills in students and introduces flexible and hybrid learning models. If implemented correctly, one-to-one devices can increase efficiency in students and offer time-saving convenience for teachers.
Discover learning opportunities for teachers and school leaders
- Easy-to-learn apps can be utilized for teachers to save time on administrative duties. Which can help teachers to achieve a better work life balance.
- One-to-one devices can be used to assign work and track learner’s progress. It provides teachers with a distinct indicator of when a student may need some extra support within a particular area.
- Teachers can empower their students and help to grow a student’s skillset through hosting brainstorming sessions and incorporating group collaboration.
- One-to-one learning means classrooms be transformed by teachers into a creative hub through resources such as drawings, 3D models as well as interactive games.
- Teachers can allow students to share their screen, empowering them to guide as well as develop listening, speaking and sharing skills.
- One-to-one technology enables teachers to use multimedia to incorporate current affairs and life skills to link in-class learning to everyday life.
- Audio and video can be incorporated to assist assignment marking. This is an efficient and sometimes even more meaningful method of delivering feedback to students.
One-to-one technology also boasts benefits for parents and guardians of students.
- One-to-one devices give parents and guardians the option of being more supportive and knowledgeable of their child’s studies.
- Parents are confident that their child is developing future ready skills and can connect digitally to be more engaged with the school.
A Better Way
Key benefits of One-to-One learning include
- Learning continuity for students.
- Increased accessibility for students and staff.
- Higher student engagement and enthusiasm.
- Student wellbeing is championed through a more positive and inclusive learning experience.
- One-to-one devices are sustainable and can eradicate unnecessary overheads.
- Equal access learning for students.
- It empowers teachers and students to achieve more.
- One-to-one device programs enable, school leaders to implement technology strategies more easily, effectively, and efficiently.
- Learning programs and incentives can be tracked and adjusted as required.
- Improvement in academic achievement.
- Lowered cases of conflict between students and teachers.
The success of a one-to-one programme starts with a vision for your school. Choosing innovative devices is an important chapter but it is not the only factor to consider. A school should be a holistic environment in which students, teachers and school leaders thrive. One-to-one learning requires new and carefully considered support, connectivity and training. Additional areas of importance include culture, software, resources, safety and security. While transitioning to being a one-to-one school is daunting, our team at IT Systems can provide you with the expert advice, guidance and support that you need to be this transition a resounding success.